These are the OLD pre-August 2013 forums. Please visit the new upgraded forums here!

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register | HK Website

Citadel BattleMat (2008 Version) Options
GREEN_MACHINE
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:41:05 AM

Groups: Member

The Product
: The citidel battle mat is a 4 x 6 cloth backed, static grass gaming mat. It is currently sold in a standard green color. This review is of the 2008 improved version. An earlier version of the battle mat which was sold in a rolled format is reported to have had shedding issues, although I have no experience with that product to confirm it.

Package:  Mat comes folded in a mid sized, plastic windowed box. There are no use & care instructions.

Contents:  The mat uses what appears to be static grass, which is somehow bonded to what I think must be a latex backing and then has a smooth cloth covering sewn over the backing. The result is a 4 x 6 static grass mat which folds and rolls very easily and with no grass shedding to this point. I have measured the mat and it has true dimensions.

The other nice point with this mat, is that because of the backing cloth, it sits very well on a table and will leave no scratches on the good furniture if Mom is worried about you playing on the dining room table. The other advantage to the cloth backing is that it hangs very well over objects, so you could simply place some books under the mat to make a decent hill.

Points of note:

1)
Once the mat has been unfolded there are many creases.  I laid mine out on a flat table and was able to get rid of some. Posters on other forums reccomend rolling the mat tightly over night to get rid of the creases while other note you can lightly iron in. I'm not good with an iron at the best of times so I have opted to try the roll method at this time. I will update this post with the results at a later date.

2) My mat had a couple of spots where the grass had been damaged. These spots are the size of a pencil eraser and its not a big deal to me, however if they had been any bigger I would have returned it. If you plan on o purchasing this, I would ask to have a look at the mat for defects before leaving the store with it, just in case.

3) I use GF9 green static grass to base my minis. I had hoped the mat color and the base color would be close, however the GF9 basing is lighter and brighter green than the GW stuff. I'm not sure if the GW green static grass (loose containers) match the mat either, however the GF9 bases still look great on the mat. If this is an issue for you though, perhaps you might want to check and see if the GW grass is a better match and rebase your minis.

4) There are no use and care instructions. I think this would have been nice, and could have contained some info on perhaps how to spot clean it etc, for those times when something gets spilled on it. It is rumored it can be washed but I think I would contact GW for the low down on care before attempting any kind of cleaning etc.

5) Although designed to be used with GW scaled minis, I have set this out for 15mm and its looks great.

Conclusion: The Battle mat appears to be very well thought out and made.  I think that this mat would be a great gaming investment for any system or scale where a grass terrain or gaming surface is required. 

I am very happy and give it 10/10.

“Good tactics can save even the worst strategy. Bad tactics will destroy even the best strategy.”

General George S. Patton
Full Metal Penguin
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 11:47:57 AM

Groups: Administration , Bolt Action WiP, Campaign, Member

Not sure if moisture would damage the static grass or not but what about hanging it in the bathroom when you have a shower to get rid of the creases?

Lad I don't know where you've been but I see you won first prize.

Nowadays we Scots don't play bagpipes to frighten our enemies , we do it to annoy our neighbours.

Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn.

...................////....................
..................(00)....................
..........oOO...(_)...OOo............
GREEN_MACHINE
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 12:29:44 PM

That was another tip I read on the mat.  I'm working my way thtrough the list :-)

I'm not worried at all about the creases not  coming out, worst case its just a matter of time.  Looking forward to seeing how the roll method worked when I get home tonight.

“Good tactics can save even the worst strategy. Bad tactics will destroy even the best strategy.”

General George S. Patton
GREEN_MACHINE
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 9:11:58 AM

So the rolling took out a lot of the creases but not all. 

Next is to steam it like FMP suggestted. We have a steamer for doing draps etc at home so I'll be using that.

General George S. Patton
cbadali
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 11:03:00 AM

GREEN_MACHINE wrote:
So the rolling took out a lot of the creases but not all. 

Next is to steam it like FMP suggestted. We have a steamer for doing draps etc at home so I'll be using that.

Another good way is with an Iron, and hitting the steam function but about a 8-10 inches away from it. That should work as well.

My armies and 2013 wins;

Warhammer Fantasy:
Dark Elves - 4500pts
Orcs&Goblins - 10,000 pts
Beastmen - 6,000 pts -
Ogre Kingdoms - 4,000pts

Warhammer 40K:
Space Marines (30% Painted) (Space wolves, Dark Angels, Blood Angels, Black Templar and Imperial Fists): 10,000 pts
Imperial Guard: 10,000 pts (10% painted) -
Orks - 1000 pts (0% Painted)
Tau (50% Painted) -4000 pts

Flames of War:
Germans - 4,000 pts - 100% painted That's right, I have a fully painted army.
British - 1000 points

Warmachine/Hordes - Only 3 games for all of 2012, going to have to bump that up
Khador - 213 pts - 2 Win
Menoth - 131pts -2 losses
Circle - 55pts - 2 Win
Skorne - 323 pts - 1 win, 1 loss

Wormwyrd Kills - Jarl Skuld, Devil of the Thornwood, 2 Nyss Hunters, 1 Boomhowler company troll, 1 Flameguard Cleanser
GREEN_MACHINE
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 11:10:44 AM

I'm not good with an iron at the best of times let alone with precious hobby items...the risk for epic failure is too high!

Perhaps I can convince my wife to undertake this challenge :-)

General George S. Patton
Thindol
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 5:23:55 PM

Has anyone else had any experience with this product? I am thinking about ordering one. Did you finally get all the creases out?

Thindol

These little men are playing games from here to enternity, but I'll be sitting by myself here waiting oh so paitently,
waiting for the sky to fall and purge this frail humanity....
And if this child could sing, he would say: I don't need anybody, I don't need anyone, I don't need your guidance home.
Watch I as I build my empire, watch as I rise and fall, watch as I fight all alone...

I am in an intellectual discussion with a potato. Soon I'll be so caught up in whether it was Descartes or Voltaire who first advocated empiricism,
that it will fail to strike me as a bit odd that the potato knows much of anything about 17th-century French philosophers.
In fact, it knows more about them than I do. Later, that will probably irritate me....
GREEN_MACHINE
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 6:20:21 PM

Hey Thindol,

I did get the creases out,  however I have played it for a while and then put it away for weeks at a time and it still gets creases each time, when I fold it. I find the best method to avoid the creases is to roll it, although it takes up more space.

That said, I am still very happy with the product and reccomend it, and still think its the best grass mat out there...in the past I have used no shed vynil railway mats and the GW product is a far better product.

The thing I like the most about this mat to this point is that after months of use, I have had no shedding and it still looks as good as the day I bout it. Another thing I love is that I can roll or fold it up and put it away in 30 seconds.

go get one...

General George S. Patton